Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Blog Without a Purpose

So the whole "Nousha starts a blog thing" failed beyond reason. Busy quarter, I suppose. Between ARC (which randomly decided to increase its workload by trifold this quarter), applying for RA (longest process EVER, much?), CEC (shout out to all my fav's), attempting a social life (FAIL), school (could I study ANY less?), MUN (fuck, I gotta finish that topic synopsis tonight), and drama which may possibly be revealed at a later date (depending on my mood)....I forgot how this sentence originally started. Oh, yeah - busy quarter. To all my friends who have seen me less than three times this year - please forgive me.

Even now, I have so much work to do, but I just don't feel like it. Blame it on my shotty time-management skills and newfound love for sleep. But, hey, it happens. Oh, and BEST PART - I've totally lost my voice. That's right. Nousha can't TALK. Ain't that an oxymoron, if ya ever heard of one. Probably the reason why I decided to blog tonight...

Anyway, I'm not one to tell the world my feelings; I actually hate when people do that, so that's making it pretty difficult to decide on a topic for tonight. I wonder if anyone actually reads these, be it friend or random creeper. But I really need to get back on the writing horse so that I don't fail my English class next quarter.

You know what - why don't YOU tell me what to write about. Yes, you - the one person who actually reads my blog. Might as well tailor it to what you enjoy since I've been so unmotivated for the past few months (has it been that long? Dayum).

Oh, you know what I'll rant about tonight? Freakin' Oscars, man. First year that I havn't caught up to base with all the movies that have been nominated. I might not even watch it tomorrow (due to lack of TV and sudden influx of workload). But can you blame me? TEN nominees this year for Best Film? SERIOUSLY? I thought the whole point was that the Academy Awards is the top of the notch and therefore hard to get nominated for. Ten is pushing it though; it feels like they just started picking random box-office flops for the nominees. Not that I'm saying a box-office flop is equivalent to a bad movie. I'm pretty sure Titanic made ZILCH before it got nominated and suddenly we had to go to four different theaters to get a ticket for a MATINEE showing. I'm not afraid of change, I'm just opposed to the bad kind. Although to be completely honest, the past few years worth of nominees havn't exactly been as up to par as in previous years; everything is so politically based these days...

But you know what really pushes my buttons (what a weird phrase)? The fact that UP (are both the letters capitalized in this? I don't even know) gets nominated not just for Best Animated Film (which is totally fair), but for Best Film as well! Don't get me wrong, it was an alright movie; not my favorite, but I can see why you all love it. Better than WALL-E anyway (freakin' a', is that how you spell it? Pixar movies and their need for originality...). But there are categories for a REASON. It's separated in order for it to be FAIR. However, I see the flaw in that argument. If we want to separate UP for categorical reasons, who's to say we shouldn't do that with genres in general? Which, now that I think about it, makes sense too. It will probably add another two hours to the program (gosh darn those acceptance speeches...) and possibly lower the credibility and caliber of winning an Oscar (which in my opinion, has already gone down for this year because of the number of nominees), but I can't get over the year that The Departed and Little Miss Sunshine were up against each other. Clearly, both were excellent films (in my opinion), but I felt that to put them in a category against each other was just unfair (I am loving the word "fair" in this blog). Little Miss Sunshine was a clear "dramedy" or whatever you want to call it, but The Departed was more of a crime thriller/I'm-Martin-Scorsese-hear-me-roar type movie. Maybe we should leave that for the Golden Globes, though. I just don't think anyone can pit different genres against each other in one category. When someone asks you what your favorite movie is, how can you pick just one out of all the genres? They're incomparable; what you really end up asking is "What's your favorite genre?"

Random ramblings as usual. Don't forget to leave me topics to talk about in the (somewhat) near future!

1 comment:

  1. hi
    i was stalking your fb for a reason that i have since forgotten. and because i'm bored.
    um
    oh yeah, then i saw the link to your blog in that little box thingie and decided to click.
    this rather amused me. you're funny. i don't know much about oscars and academy awards and such and i haven't seen a majority of movies, but this was still an entertaining read. keep it up, it'll be good for those odd times i'm bored and remember this thing exists :)

    ReplyDelete